Domino: The Untold Story

IX. IN WHICH A TRAGIC DEATH OCCURS

Now, I'm going to let Zangan tell the next part of the story, because I wasn't actively involved.

As we'd told Hart on the phone, Holzoff and I had found out where Reeve was keeping the controls to the Cait Sith robot. The controls -- a small triangular black box -- were sitting on a file cabinet in Reeve's office.

As part of Tortellini's plan, we were watching AVALANCHE through the aid of a hidden camera Coates had installed in the Ghost Square inn at the Gold Saucer. The party was currently just settling down for the night. "It's time," Holzoff said.

We left Domino's office and walked on up to Reeve's office, several floors above. "Wait outside," I said to Hozloff. "I'll do the talking."

I entered the office, where I was stopped by Reeve's secretary. "Excuse me," she said.

"You're excused," I replied.

"Do you have an appointment?" the secretary demanded.

"This is very important," I dodged the question. "I don't have an appointment, but I needed to talk to Reeve."

"If you don't have an appoi -"

"If you want to keep Mr. Reeve waiting, it's your problem, not mine," I said. "I'll tell him that you kept me out here."

"All right, go on in," the secretary said. It had to be one of the oldest tricks in the book, but it still worked.

I entered Reeve's office. Reeve was currently engaged in a heated game of Minesweeper on his computer. I quickly scanned the room. My eyes stopped on the Cait Sith controls, resting on top of Reeve's file cabinet. He hadn't moved them.

I casually sprawled into an office chair. "Heya, Reeve," I said.

Reeve jumped in his chair and turned. He stared at me for a moment, then recognized me. "Oh, it's you," he said. "Domino's intern. Zangan."

"That's my name, don't wear it out."

"Why didn't y'all knock?" Reeve asked, still shaken by my sudden appearance.

"Sorry," I said. I leaned forward in the chair. "Now let's get down to business," I whispered. From the look on Reeve's face, he obviously expected me to talk about AVALANCHE. I, however, would have to disappoint him. "What brand of pencil sharpner do you use?"

Reeve was caught off guard by this question. After a moment of confusion, he took the pencil sharpner off his desk and looked at its bottom. "Shinra," he said.

"Uh, yeah, dumb question," I said. "What model is it?"

Reeve squinted to read the small type. "It's a D4-560."

"The D4-560," I repeated. "I was just wondering because we need a new pencil sharpner in Domino's office. So are you satisifed with the performance of your Shinra D4-560 pencil sharpner?"

"It's a pencil sharpner," Reeve shrugged. "What can I say?"

"I mean, does it deliver premium sharpening quality? Do you get the perfect triangular tip, or does it come out lopsided? How about efficient shavings reduction? All those kind of things are important in a pencil sharpner, you know."

"For the love of the Planet, it's just a stupid pencil sharpner!" Reeve exclaimed. "Who cares?"

I had him right where I wanted him. He thought I was either really weird or just in here to harass him. Now I made my move. "Look behind you, it's a three-headed Chocobo!" I shouted, pointing over Reeve's shoulder.

"Where?" Reeve turned. As an almost nervous reaction, I pounced on the Cait Sith controls, grabbed them, and fled from the office.

"I got the controls!" I shouted as I charged out into the hall. "RUN, HOLZOFF, RUN!"

Holzoff and I fled to the stairs and charged down to the 62nd floor. Behind us, we could hear the pound of footsteps as Reeve hurried after us.

We ran into Domino's office. "We can't stay here," Holzoff panted. "Reeve's right behind us, and he's probably got security after us too."

"So what are we gonna do?" I hadn't really thought this part over.

"We need Selsun power!" Holzoff said, jumping on one of the swivel chairs. I jumped on the other and we took off out of the office. Reeve ran down and was obviously quite shocked to see two guys riding backwards in swivel chairs careening directly towards him.

We bowled over Reeve and headed directly (well, somewhat indirectly -- swivel chairs are kind of hard to control) to the stairwell. "Guards!" Reeve bellowed, jumping to his feet.

Our swivel chairs ricocheted down the stairs. Some Shinra MPs appeared on the stairwell above us and started firing down on us. As were bouncing off the walls in random patterns at high speeds, however, we were hard to hit.

"We've got to hide somewhere," Holzoff urged. He jumped off his swivel chair, sending it crashing into the side of the stairs. A few moments later, I did the same.

"Where?" I asked as we ran out of the stairwell and onto the 60th floor.

"Somewhere they're not going to look," Holzoff said, glancing around the floor. "There!" he exclaimed, pointing. He was pointing at the ladies' room.

"Uh, Holzoff," I started to protest.

"Sssh!" Holzoff urged, dragging me inside. We jumped inside a trash can and tried to remain motionless. Outside, we could hear the MPs accosting passing workers, trying to find us.

While we waited for them to leave, I took out the Cait Sith controls. From the small viewscreen on the monitor, I could see that the robot was currently "asleep" in the Ghost Square. I guided him stealthily into Cloud's room. Oddly, Cloud did not appear to be in his room, but that just made my job easier. I took the Keystone from the bedstand where it lay and headed for the Chocobo Square.

On the way there, I "saw" Cloud and Aerith walking together. At first, I froze, but then I figured it was best to appear casual and nonchalantly guided Cait Sith on to the Chocobo Square.

"Hey... Cait Sith!" Cloud said, hurrying after me.

I was caught now. Now I could just hope I could complete the mission. I ran down the stairs to the base of the Chocobo Square with Cloud and Aerith running after him. I stumbled to a stop at the end of the stairs.

"The Keystone!" Aerith said, recognizing what Cait Sith was carrying.

Cloud took a step towards me. Just then, Tseng's helicopter swooped down and I hurled the Keystone up to it. Tseng reached out the window and caught it with one hand. It was perfect.

"Yes!" I exclaimed triumphantly. (the real me, not Cait Sith)

I was suddenly aware that someone was looking down at me. Guiltily, I glanced up. It was Scarlet. "Aieeee!" Scarlet shrieked. "What are you doing in here?"

"Uh... I -"

"RUN!" Holzoff grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the garbage can, tipping the can over in the process.

Alerted by Scarlet's cry, Shinra MPs came running. Holzoff dragged me into the elevator and punched the down button.

"I told you we shouldn't have hidden in there," I said.

"Honestly, I'm surprised Scarlet even cared."

I looked up at the floor indicator. "Where are we going?"

"Out of here!" Holzoff said. "They're gonna be looking for us all over the building as soon as word gets out."

I waited impatiently for the elevator to arrive at its destination. Trying my best to ignore the elevator music surrounding me, I turned to the Cait Sith controls and tried to talk my way out of the situation with Cloud and Aerith.

The elevator dinged. Holzoff and I charged through the lobby, hurdled the broken Shin-Ra sign, and ran outside. The "golden wire" that we had left for AVALANCHE was still there. We made our way down to the bottom.

"Hope there's nobody on this rope," I grinned as I yanked it down. There were a couple of agonized screams from above. "Heh, heh, my bad."

"Don't laugh too soon," Holzoff said. "They'll send a general alarm out when they realize we've escaped. We'd better move."

We ran through the Wall Market and the wastes to Sector 5. There we made the final sprint across town and into Aerith's house. I slammed the door shut behind us and sank down to the floor, exhausted.

Marlene screamed. "Ms. Gainsborough, two men just ran into the house!" she wailed. Elmyra hurried downstairs, a worried look on her face.

"Don't worry, we're with, uh, AVALANCHE," I said. I suddenly remembered I needed to tell Tortellini we'd done our part of the mission. I fished my beeper out of my pocket and paged him.

Back to me (Domino). While Zangan and Holzoff were stealing the Keystone via Cait Sith, we were hanging out in Gongaga Town, playing Pin The Tail On The Chocobo and generally acting stupid. When Zangan's page came, however, we got right to work.

We loaded up our gear, jumped on Hojo's seaplane (which we were still "borrowing"), and flew on out to the island. Unknown at the time, however, I had forgotten my pager -- a mistake which later turned out to be critical. After parking the seaplane in an isolated cove, we proceeded up through the jungle to the temple.

"I hope Tseng's made it here with the Keystone," Butch said as were crossing the bridge to the temple.

"In a helicopter? From the Gold Saucer to here? Don't worry, nothing could have happened to him."

I spoke these words just as we stepped into the temple itself. I instantly realized they were quite wrong. For one thing, Tseng was lying on the floor in a pool of blood, and furthermore, there was a sword sticking out of his back.

"Tseng!" I cried, standing over him. "TSENG!"

"What happened?" Hart said in hushed tones.

Johnny took the sword and flipped it over in his hands. "Sephiroth," he said simply.

"Sephiroth," I repeated. I still couldn't believe it. Tseng, one of my oldest friends, was dead. He was just a janitor posing as a detective posing as a janitor, and Sephiroth killed him.

"Hey, wait a sec," Johnny said. "This sword's got something inscribed in it." He held the Masamune up towards the light from outside and peered at the tiny inscription. "Made... in.... Taiwan."

There was silence. "Well, I guess even magic swords have to come from somewhere," Mukki said.

"I have a suspicion here," Johnny said. He held the sword out in both hands and brought it down over his knee. It snapped in two and fell on the ground. "Just as I thought. This isn't the real Masamune. This one of those cheap Gold Saucer imitations."

"Someone killed Tseng with a toy sword?" Fred repeated. "And those things are legal?"

"No, you idiot, they killed him some other way and then framed Sephiroth," Hart said.

"Then who -"

"AVALANCHE!" I shouted. Somehow I knew it was them. I should have known it would come to that. Those no-good, lying, double-crossing scumbags had killed Tseng for no reason at all. Now it was payback time. "Let's go get those son-of-a-Behemoths."

"Not without the Keystone, we aren't," Butch said.

"Shoot, you're right," I said. "Now what are we gonna do?"

"I know!" Mukki started. "We g-"

"Cut it," Hart snapped.

And now back to Zangan for a moment (don't worry, this is the last time)...

Things were not presently going well. Holzoff and I were hiding in Aerith's house in Sector 5, controlling Cait Sith. That was all fine, but upon AVALANCHE's arrival at the temple island, Yuffie volunteered to go on ahead for a scouting mission through the jungle. She returned shaken and reported that Tseng was lying dead in the entrance to the Temple, skewered on Sephiroth's Masamune.

Tseng did have the Keystone, however, so we had no choice but to proceed on through the temple. When we got to the temple sanctum, I detailed the plan that Tortellini and I had come up with to AVALANCHE. Cait Sith being just a robot, he would take the Black Materia, which, being the Temple itself, would cause the whole structure to collapse in on itself. Then AVALANCHE could take the Black Materia, and, hopefully, deliver it to Domino's gang.

After seeing off Cloud and Aerith, I returned Cait Sith to the temple sanctum to take the Materia. Just then, however, Reeve and a platoon of MPs arrived at the door of Elmyra's house.

"Zangan!" Holzoff cried. "It's Reeve! He's found us!"

"You can hide in the cellar," Elmyra said.

"I didn't know this house had a cellar."

"That's why it's such a good hiding place."

"Thanks, but we don't want to risk endangering you, too," Holzoff said. "We're going to have to surrender."

"Holzoff, we've got to get the Black Materia first!" I protested, waving the Cait Sith controls at him.

"Well, hurry up!"

"I'm trying, I'm trying!" I said, frantically wielding the controls. In my hurry, Cait Sith stumbled and fell to the floor. I managed to get him back up and hurried to the pedestal where the Black Materia sat.

I grabbed the pyramid-shaped object, but then I remembered you had to solve a puzzle to get the Materia. I held it up to Cait Sith's eyes for a closer look. "Oh no," I groaned. "It's one of those Magic Eye things. I'm terrible at those."

"Here, give it to me," Holzoff said. I forced the controls into his hand and he examined the view screen for a few seconds. "Oh, that's obvious. It's an octopus playing the bugle in a cave underneath Wrigley Field."

The pyramid opened up. In the view screen, the entire room started to shake. "There, we've done it," Holzoff said. "Now let's go." We marched outside, where the Gainsboroughs' house was being surrounded by Shinra troops.

Holzoff dropped the controls and raised his hands. "We surrender," he said.

Domino again.

The entire entrance room of the Temple suddenly started to shake. I noticed the walls were closing in, then I realized the whole room was shrinking. "What's going on?" Mukki demanded.

"They must have got the Black Materia," Butch said. "Quick, we've got to get out of here!"

We ran outside of the temple. "Back, back, get away from the temple," Butch said. "Form one line so I can count you all. Don't back go inside until the bell rings."

"What?"

"Never mind."

We watched as the Temple of the Ancients gradually shrunk to a tiny black sphere floating in the air -- the Black Materia. There was a bright flash of white light and the Materia fell to the bottom of the crater where the Temple had used to be.

Cid wandered out of the foliage. "I'm gonna have a smoke out here," he was saying as he lit a cigarette. "Ahhh... it's really something, having a smoke in a place like this."

"YOU!" I roared, leaping at him. "You killed Tseng!"

Cid ducked back. "What? We didn't kill Tseng, it was Sephiroth."

I was about to beat him up when Hart shouted, "Tortellini, it's Sephiroth!"

I turned. Sephiroth had appeared in the pit where the Temple used to be. Cloud was also in the pit -- he'd just picked up the Black Materia. "Give me the Materia, Cloud!" Sephiroth commanded. "Give it to me!"

"Do something!" Butch shouted. "Don't let him get that Materia!"

I scrambled down the walls of the pit. Cloud was writhing on the ground and holding his head. Then, leaving a ghostly image of himself on the ground, he got up and walked towards Sephiroth.

"What are you doing?" I demanded. "Don't give him the Materia, Clod! ..err, Cloud."

"Give to me, Cloud," Sephiroth repeated. Cloud stepped closer to him.

"NO!" I yelled, jumping up and down in front of Cloud. "Give to ME!"

"Snap out of it, Cloud!" Aerith said, jumping down into the pit.

Cloud, brushed by me and handed the Black Materia to Sephiroth. "You idiot!" I howled, sinking to my knees. "You idiot!"

Next chapter: Who Shot Aerith?